- This event has passed.
Annual Philanthropy Debate
May 23, 2017 , 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm| £20
The following information was written by Quartet Community Foundation:
Please do join us on Tuesday 23 May, 6pm for a 6.30pm start, for an evening of stimulating debate about one of the hottest issues of the day: housing.
After the success of our first ever Philanthropy Debate last year we’re holding another – everyone is invited to join us for a lively debate, followed by a delicious hot fork supper, at the iconic Chemistry Building at the University of Bristol, for £20 per person.
This year our distinguished speakers will be debating the motion:
“This house believes that philanthropy can only deal with the symptoms of the housing crisis and plays only a peripheral part in addressing its root causes.”
The evening will be Chaired by our own Robert Bourns, partner at TLT Solicitors and Chair of Quartet, and the speakers will be:
For the motion:
- Paul Smith, Cabinet Member for Housing (Lab), Bristol City Council
- Oona Goldsworthy, Chief Executive at United Communities
Against the motion:
- Ken Hames, Ex-Forces adventurer and Community Self Build Agency
- Maggie Telfer, Chief Executive at the Bristol Drugs Project
Tickets are £20 per person.
The price helps us to cover our costs. We would warmly welcome any donation you wish to make over and above that price.
There are three simple options for you to buy your tickets.
- You can pay and RSVP in one go, through our donate now page. Complete your payment details on the form, and under ‘Where would you like your donation to go?’ select ‘Philanthropy Debate’ – and then complete the box below it, giving the full name(s) of each ticket holder. NB. This isn’t a charitable donation but is priced to help cover our costs. If you would like to make a donation over and above this, please add it to your ticket price, enter the total into the ‘Your donation (in £s)’ box, and make a note of it when listing guest names, above.
- Or, download and return our RSVP form – then make your payment by BACS or cheque (full payment details are on the form). You can save a copy and email it back to email@example.com or print and post it to Sabita Ravi, Quartet Community Foundation, Royal Oak House, Royal Oak Avenue, Bristol BS1 4GB.
- Or, you can RSVP by calling 0117 989 7700. NB. We unfortunately can’t take payments over the phone, so you will still need to make a BACS transfer or send a cheque as above.